Traditional herbal plant with laxative properties that relieve short-term constipation.
BUY MORE AND SAVE
Get a discount when you buy 3+ products (Code : PROMO3)
Get a discount when you buy 6+ products (Code : PROMO6)
Automatically save $18 when you buy 12 items
ABOUT THIS PRODUCT
Medicinal ingredient: Malva Verticillata, Scrofulaire
- 400 mg per capsule
- 60 capsules
Non-medicinal ingredients: Gelatin, magnesium stearate
Oral dose: Adults and adolescents 11 years and older: 2 to 3 capsules daily, at bedtime.
Directions: Start with one capsule per day for a few days. After that, adjust the dose to 2 to 3 capsules per day as needed. Take a few hours before or after taking other medications or natural health products. Allow at least 6 to 12 hours for laxative effect to occur.
Duration of use: Consult a health care practitioner for use beyond 7 days.
Cautions and warnings:
Consult a health care practitioner:
- if symptoms persist or worsen;
- prior to using this product if you have fecal impaction or symptoms such as abdominal pain, nausea, vomiting or fever;
- prior to using this product if you have a kidney disorder or are taking heart medications such as cardiac glycosides or antiarrhythmic medications;
- prior to using this product if you are taking thiazide diuretics, corticosteroids, licorice root or other medications or health products that may worsen electrolyte imbalance.
Reduce dose or discontinue use if you experience abdominal pain, cramps, spasms and/or diarrhea.
Contraindications: Do not use if you experience abnormal constrictions of the gastrointestinal tract, potential or existing intestinal blockage, atonic bowel, appendicitis, inflammatory colon disease such as Crohn’s disease or ulcerative colitis, abdominal pain of unknown origin, undiagnosed rectal bleeding, severe dehydration with depleted water or electrolytes, hemorrhoids or diarrhea. Do not use if you are pregnant or breastfeeding.
Known adverse reaction: Hypersensitivity has been known to occur; in which case, discontinue use.
Also available in herbal tea (2,500 mg).Malva-T
Active product component: Malva verticillata, Scrofulaire
Pharmacodynamic source material: The leaves contain the plant’s active components. Certain monographs also mention the use of the fruit. According to researchers, the components providing medicinal activity would be the following molecules: sennosides.
- Traditionally used in herbal medicine as a stimulant laxative.
- Used in herbal medicine for the short-term relief of occasional constipation.
- ESCOP monographs. The scientific foundation for herbal medicinal products. 2nd ed. The European Scientific Cooperative on Phytotherapy, Georg Thieme Verlag, Germany, 2003
- British Herbal Compendium, vol 1, A handbook of scientific information on widely used plant drugs. Companion to the British Herbal Pharmacopoeia volume 1. Ed. By Peter R. Bradley. British Herbal Medicine Association, 1992
- Herbal Medicine, Expanded Commission E monographs. Ed. By M. Blumenthal, A. Goldberg & J. Brinckmann. American Botanical Council, USA, 2000
- The Complete German Commission E Monographs. Therapeutic guide to herbal medicines. Ed. By M. Blumenthal, W. Busse, A. Goldberg, J. Gruenwald, T. Hall, C. Riggins & R. Rister. American Botanical Council, USA, 1998
- British Herbal Pharmacopoeia, British Herbal Medicine Asociation, 1983
- German Commission E Monographs, Senna folium. Bundesanzeiger, 1993, 133 ; 21 July
- WHO Monographs 1999.
- Health Canada monograph available at: http://webprod.hc-sc.gc.ca/nhpid-bdipsn/monoReq.do?id=162&lang=ang